Pages

01 March 2009

Who Made You Interested In Reading?

Dear Me,

This was a question posted at
Shelfari.

Actually, the right question would be What or WHAT PLACE made me start reading.

Back when I was in elementary, our library wasn't a friendly place at all. It was kinda dark and gloomy, more like scary because only a handful number of souls go there.

But I dared myself and learned to peek through the ominous-looking mahogany shelves. I saw books, small and big, entirely hardbounds and discovered
Nancy Drew.

It was my break time and my Chinese classes were about to start. I only read a few pages and I got hooked. From there on, I sneaked every available time I had just to go to our scary library to read Nancy Drew.

Our handsome although stern-looking librarian caught up with me one time and asked me why I frequent the library (he said that during that time I was the only person who constantly visit the library without fail). I told him that I liked reading all those Nancy Drew stories; that I never thought that our library had such great, interesting books (yeah, I was so naive then). He laughed. I wondered why he laughed but instead of replying, he told me to approach him the next time I visit. I told him that I would be there later in the day to read.

To cut this long tale short, he provided me a library card so I could bring some books home.

Thinking about it now, I think the question just seemed apt after all. It was that handsome but strict accommodating Chinese librarian from school! :)

What about you? What's your story about books and reading?

8 comments:

  1. my sister had a very good influence on my reading habits. she would just gobble books at a time. (figuratively speaking that is..)

    i love these sites too:

    Pinoy Money Talk
    the earning student

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nancy Drew!! i used to read this book series too.. what got me into reading was my English teacher in 6th Grade. i always noticed her reading Reader's Digest after our English Classes and she lets me borrow them. i think she was the coolest teacher i've ever met!

    ReplyDelete
  3. ICE_HOT, that's good. I wish I was able to influence my sister that way.

    By the way, I subscribed your blog.


    CLAIRE, I love Nancy Drew. In fact, I would like to re-collect the hardbound books as soon as I have a place to stack them in. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I started loving books in grade school too, with the widely popular (I think, haha) Sweet Valley series. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh, those nancy drew books! I started from there also. Altho i didn't have a scary library to go to. My grandmother's friend who has a daughter same age as I am lent me her nancies cause she was done with them. Imagine my glee when she sent her driver to deliver a box full of nancies for me to read that whole summer. That was one of the best summers I've ever had...

    ReplyDelete
  6. AUSTENFAN, oh yes, I was also taken with the SV series right after Nancy Drew. I think it was my high school classmate who lent me hers. :)


    ATE SIENNA, a boxful? I totally agree it being one of the best summers ever. Imagine having those books during the summer. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. hello... hapi blogging... have a nice day! just visiting here....

    ReplyDelete
  8. It was my cousin who was into Nancy Drew's, I remember I used to read my aunt's college textbooks on Filipino and Spanish class when I was in elementary.

    I also frequented our library in grade school kaka stay ko dun inappoint akong Business Manager ng book club ng isa sa mga librarian lol!

    ReplyDelete

It's always refreshing to know what's on your mind. Thanks!

PS. Posting unrelated comments are not allowed here (referring to SPAMMERS!).