Nice Read...

It was a busy morning, approximately 8:15 am,
when an elderly gentleman, in his 80's,came in to
have sutures (stitches) removed from his thumb.
He stated that he was in a hurry for an
appointment at 9:00am. I took his vital signs and
had him take a seat, knowing it would be over an
hour before someone would to able to see him.

I saw him looking at his watch and decided,
since I was not busy with another patient,
I would evaluate his wound. On exam, it was
well healed, so I talked to one of the doctors,
got the needed supplies to remove his sutures
and redress his wound.

While taking care of his wound, we began to
engage in conversation. I asked him if he had
another doctor's appointment this morning, as he
was in such a hurry.

The gentleman told me no, that he needed to go to
the nursing home to eat breakfast with
his wife. I then inquired as to her health. He
told me that she had been there for a while
and that she was a victim of Alzheimer's Disease.

As we talked, and I finished dressing his wound,
I asked if she would be worried if he was
a bit late. He replied that she no longer knew
who he was, that she had not recognized him
in five years now. I was surprised, and asked
him. "And you still go every morning, even
though she doesn't know who you are?" He smiled
as he patted my hand and said, "She doesn't know
me, but I still know who she is."

I had to hold back tears as he left, I had
goose bumps on my arms, and thought,
"That is the kind of love I want in my life."

True love is neither physical, nor romantic.
True love is an acceptance of all that is, has
been, will be, and will not be.

No comments:

Post a Comment


My Instagram