This and That (4)

It has been a while since I last blogged. Not that I was busy but more of not having the will to write anything at that moment. A lot of things had took place and I was trying to spend the last few days of my vacation as enjoyable as possible before day 1 of next month begins. July will undoubtedly be my alpha month and I do not know when will the omega of it be since our Policy Dialogue was postponed for 4 months. Projects will pile up.

-----------------------



What is happening to my country? Our President already admitted that it was her voice that was on the tape. Her family is also involved in a jueteng scandal. Well, it was mightily admirable for her to admit that but I could not imagine that what she did was excusable. Anxious to protect her votes so she contacted an election officer? Of course, she knew that act was prohibited. I don't think she is ignorant of it. She is too smart for that. Her explanation to the people was plausible enough but she made it looked like that the people, us, were stupid enough to accept it just like that. Your speech, Madame President, sounded like you just want us to accept that; a case of forgive and forget.

Making any such call was a lapse in judgment
(Statement of President GLORIA MACAPAGAL ARROYO)

MGA minamahal kong kababayan.

For the last several weeks, the issue of the tape recordings has spun out of control. Tonight, I want to set the record straight. You deserve an explanation from me, because you are the people I was elected to serve.

As you recall, the election canvassing process was unnecessarily slow even after the election results were already in and the votes had been counted.

I was anxious to protect my votes and during that time had conversations with many people, including a Comelec official. My intent was not to influence the outcome of the election, and it did not. As I mentioned, the election had already been decided and the votes counted. And as you remember, the outcome had been predicted by every major public opinion poll, and adjudged free, fair and decisive by international election observers, and our own Namfrel.

That said, let me tell you how I personally feel. I recognize that making any such call was a lapse in judgment. I'm sorry. I also regret taking so long to speak before you on this matter. I take full responsibility for my actions and to you and to all those good citizens who may have had their faith shaken by these events. I want to assure you that I have redoubled my efforts to serve the nation and earn your trust.

Nagagambala ako. Maliwanag na may kakulangan sa wastong pagpapasya ang nangyaring pagtawag sa telepono. Pinagsisisihan ko ito ng lubos. Pinananagutan ko nang lubusan ang aking mga ginawa, at humihingi ako ng tawad sa inyo, sa lahat ng mga butihing mamamayan na nabawasan ng tiwala dahil sa mga pangyayaring ito. Ibig kong tiyakin sa inyo na lalo pa akong magsisikap upang maglingkod sa bayan at matamo ang inyong tiwala.

I took office with a mandate to carry out a plan for the nation. Since that time, I have focused on making the tough but necessary decisions to make up for years of economic neglect. We passed a comprehensive, fiscally responsible national budget; raised new and necessary revenues to reinvest in the people; and implemented new anti-corruption measures that have led to the highest collection of taxes in history.

Nothing should stand in the way of this work, or the next phase of my reform agenda, which includes new investments in education and social services with our new revenues; and an expansion of our successful anti-corruption and lifestyle checks.

That is why I want to close this chapter and move on with the business of governing.

I ask each and everyone of you to join hands with me in a show of unity, to help forge One Philippines, where everyone is equal under the law, and where everyone has the opportunity to use their God-given talents to make a better life.

Our nation is strong and getting stronger. The progress is steady and I ask you to walk with me on this journey to rebuild our great nation. I remain your humble servant and promise you that I will fulfill my constitutional oath of office to serve the people to the best of my ability.

God Bless the Philippines.


But of course, I do not agree with anybody to oust her and launch another Edsa revolution. So much for that. I am really beginning to hate hearing about a possible Edsa uprising with numbers tagged into it. It does not sound noble at all. No need to unseat her because I do not think there is someone who would be less manipulative than her. What this country needs right now is a leader who talks less and accomplishes more. President GMA can do that despite what she got herself into. If she want to redeem herself (though it will really be quite hard for her since she fooled the people), this is the right time for her to shut up her mouth and work her ass off. Of course, we, as a citizen of this beleaguered country should do our share and help her to make this nation rise up again.

To our dear Lord Almighty, may you bless us all.


-----------------------



We really have a knack for complicating things; turning a smoke into a fire. We have a penchant for jumping at burning bandwagons. With the latest ruckus happening in Philippine politics relating to PGMA's probability of cheating during the elections, this lady senator did not even waste time to brew her own interest in the situation. Nyahaha! You really proved to be what you are now. To think I admired you for being one of a kind but you were just like everybody else in politics. I am glad you showed your true color 3 years ago. I pity you.

-----------------------



I feel poorer. You feel poorer. Everyone does.

Prices of everything increases and yet our salaries remain the same. Aside from the 2-pesos increase in transport fares, the possibility of another 3-pesos fare hike is imminent once diesel price hiked up to 45 pesos a liter.

My mind is currently probing the possibility and impossibility of acquiring an increased salary using the framework of cyclical flow of the economy. So far, nothing is clear yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment


My Instagram