BMC

Dear Me,

I have been climbing since I was in the university (last 2 years actually). I used to "sneak out" during weekends, fabricate lies most of the time. Sorry, folks. I hated lying but I knew that what I was doing was for my own good. I thought then (and up until now) that I had to learn how to be independent, assertive, take good care of myself, etc. So, I joined a lot of university orgs, participated in other activities. But it didn't give me any fulfillment (except for one - Pahinungod). I found my other self and soul in climbing.

I actually did not join the university's very own mountainclimbing group. They were a different breed (my own impression and I have my reasons).

I almost stopped doing this activity when I joined the country's work force. I had to. I had to set my priorities and there were other activities I got myself into.

Mid-2003, a friend invited me and 2 of my officemates to an open climb organized by her company. I was so excited. But 2 weeks before that, I had to decline for specific reasons. To cut the story short, I was still able to join them. From that day till this time, I have been sort of active in mountainclimbing. =)

Mountainclimbing is a fun sport but if you are not equipped with the basics and the proper knowledge, you will just be risking your life, your group's safety and the balance of nature.

Our mountaineering group requested to have an exclusive lecture on basic mountaineering course or BMC through the Mountaineering Federation of the Philippines, Inc (MFPI). Sir Elmer Cabotage of PALMC conducted the 1-day lecture on BMC at the UA&P. (We also had our BMC practicum, a day-trek at Mt. Manalmon).



BMC is a course about the "introduction of outdoor leisure activities to the novice mountaineer." Introducing this sport to anyone entails understanding on the fundamentals, skills, fitness and safety of the activity. It aims to develop and incorporate appreciation and awareness of the environment, desirable character, physiological capabilities and individual satisfaction.


My "classmates" and I learned and re-learned various terms and concepts in the mountaineering world. We also acquired tips on planning and preparation, backpacking, equipment, trekking and environment ethics. More so, the Leave No Trace principle was significantly emphasized.

Sir Elmer was such a good lecturer. We didn't get restless or even bored. It was such an interactive and enjoyable lecture, coupled with guffaws and giggles. My most favorite part of the lecture was the funny way he delivered the so-called
"1001 ways of using the malong."


It was such a fruitful and informative lecture. I just hope that all of us will put into practice the theories that we learned that day.

The rest of the photos can be accessed in the photos' page.

No comments:

Post a Comment


My Instagram