Free Fiction: The Bell Ringer

Dear Me,

It's been a while since I tried to read a short story online. I spent a few minutes to read
The Bell Ringer by John Burnside in The New Yorker.


It is sort of a gloomy tale to start with. The main character, Eva, was woven into a life of loneliness. She had just lost his father, felt estranged to his uncaring, dismissive husband and wound up about her sister-in-law's forbidden secret. Even the place where reminded her close to home was gone.

I think it is inherent nature for us, human beings, to find a way to escape away from the things that break our hearts and spirits - whether intentional or not. Like what happened to Eva. She got herself into a bell-ringing club. Although the story didn't tell much, I can tell that somehow her participation in the group had dissipate her sadness a little bit.

If asked, I would say that a church bell-ringer would be some old-fashioned spinster, too. Hehehe. Who wouldn't? I think everyone grew up with this kind of stereotyped notion.

No comments:

Post a Comment


My Instagram