Food Recipes (1)

Dear Me,

The washing machine is still running (I have loads of dirty laundry to wash) and I don't feel like reading a book (I just started
Womanagerie by Jessica Zafra) in a nook. So here I am.

Let's talk about Filipino FOOD. Yes, my favorite topic...as always! *grins*


  1. Ginisang Munggo (Sauteed Mung Beans)
    This recipe is very easy to prepare. It's one of my favorite comfort food. I can eat it for days.

    Ingredients:
    1 cup munggo
    4 cups of water
    4 cloves of garlic, minced
    1 onion, sliced
    2 small tomatoes, chopped
    1 cup shelled & beheaded shrimps
    200 grams flaked tinapa
    1 cup malunggay leaves
    1 tbsp oil
    salt/patis (fish sauce)

    Directions:
    1. Wash the mung beans in a bowl and remove the floaters.

    2. Drain and put in a pot or saucepan with 4 cups of water.
    Bring to boil and set aside.

    3. In a pan, saute garlic, onions until light brown.
    Add the tomatoes until soft.
    Add the shrimps and stir fry until pink.

    4. Add the cooked munggo and simmer for a few minutes.
    Add salt or patis to taste.

    5. Stir in the flaked tinapa and malunggay leaves.
    Simmer. Remove from heat and serve.


  2. Tinolang Manok (Chicken Ginger Stew)
    Before, I don't like eating this Filipino dish simply because I didn't think chicken would taste good with water in it. It was my sister who converted me (she didn't know she did that to me) and I always look forward to weekends when she will cook this dish for lunch.

    Ingredients:
    2-3 tbsp oil
    1 onion, thinly-sliced
    2 cloves garlic, crushed
    2 tbsp ginger, cut into strips
    chicken, cut into small pieces
    4-5 cups water
    salt & pepper to taste
    green papaya or sayote, peeled & quartered
    2 cups of malunggay or sili leaves

    Directions:
    1. In a saucepan, heat oil over medium heat.
    Saute ginger first, then garlic and onions until light brown.

    2. Add the chicken and saute for 5 minutes to partially cook.
    Season with salt & pepper.

    3. Add water and bring to a boil.
    Reduce heat and let it simmer until chicken is half-done.

    4. Add in the quartered green papaya or sayote.
    Simmer until chicken and vegetable are tender.
    Adjust seasonings according to desired taste.

    5. Stir in malunggay or sili leaves until well blended.
    Remove from heat. Transfer to a serving dish and serve hot.


  3. Nilagang Baka (Clean Soup Stew of Beef)
    Oh, this one I surely love when feeling flu-ey and goo-ey. It's also perfect during a cold, rainy day.

    Ingredients:
    3/4 kilo of beef short ribs, cut into serving pieces
    5-6 cups water
    3 cloves garlic, crushed
    1 onion, quartered
    1/4 tsp. peppercorns
    2 bunches of pechay (Chinese cabbage)
    3 medium-sized potatoes, quartered
    salt to taste

    Directions:
    1. Place beef ribs in a casserole with the 5-6 cups of water.
    Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and let it simmer for about an hour.

    2. Skim off the resulting scum as it rises on top.

    3. Add crushed garlic, quartered onions, peppercorns and season with salt.
    Add the potatoes and bring to a boil until meat is tender.

    4. Add pechay or cabbage leaves. Boil gently and do not overcook.
    Remove from heat and serve hot.

These are just three (3) dishes, which I know how to cook aside from the delectable Sinigang and Beef Steak (all-time favorites).

Since the other day, I've been dreaming of preparing my own
Adobo. I'm still in the process of familiarizing myself with the procedure on how to cook this "mouth-watering" dish.

3 comments:

  1. OK, I will try it - and hope it will be a success :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will have to admit that I don't know what some of these ingredients are, but my favorite was beheaded shrimp..

    ReplyDelete
  3. [onwebcheck] - ok, let me know what you came up with..:)

    [trenting] - try it out. you can check the ingredients online though there are some that may not be available in your area.

    ReplyDelete


My Instagram